The unravelling of financial circumstances is often the cause of headaches for even the most skilled lawyers in matrimonial proceedings. When dealing with complex financial affairs that may include a variety of shareholdings/ business interests, offshore assets, property investments, pensions etc, it is imperative that all of the assets of the parties are captured in order to give an accurate indication of their true wealth in Ancillary Relief proceedings.
Watts Gregory has many years experience of advising lawyers in ancillary relief matters, acting both as party appointed expert and single joint expert (SJE). This experience covers a wide range of issues including:
- Reviewing Form E’s and considering the supporting financial information provided.
- Raising supplemental questions.
- Valuation of shares and interests in limited companies and other business structures.
- The ability to raise funds and providing practical solutions to assist with this.
- Division of earnings.
- Capital gains tax implications.
In-particular, when costs, particularly expert’s costs, are a major issue, it is becoming more and more common for the parties to agree on the appointment of a SJE to consider the financial issues. However, where the divorce proceedings are particularly acrimonious and there is a potential for a wide range of opinion, or where one party has reasonable grounds for believing that the other is hiding assets or income, the appointment of a SJE may not be appropriate.
Our experience, built up over many years, focuses on what solicitors want when seeking forensic accounting advice in matrimonial disputes, namely;
- Your case being handled throughout by the expert, rather than being passed down the line;
- Sensible fees with no surprises;
- Prompt service, and;
- Sound advice based upon knowledge and experience in this specialist field.
We like to think that Watts Gregory offer all of the above, and more, as a result of our significant experience in such matters.
We have valued businesses across a wide variety of sectors including…
We have acted in a large number of criminal cases, for both the Prosecution…
We have acted for Government agencies, businesses and individuals…